Wednesday, October 6, 2010

La Bufadora


On Sunday, we went to see La Bufadora, which is a natural blowhole that spouts sea water up to 70 feet into the air. It is located approximately 22 miles south of Ensenada near the tip of Punta Banda Peninsula. It is actually pretty cool! We drove the 22 miles to Punta Banda and marveled at the scenery...mountains, ocean and in some areas poverty that broke my heart to see. I can only say that we, as Americans, are truly blessed. You can start to understand why someone would want to leave Mexico and get into the United States by any means possible. I will now climb down from my soapbox and get back to La Bufadora!
In order to get down to the area where La Bufadora is, you have to walk through a "marketplace" of sorts. After we parked the car, we walked about half a city block up to the aforementioned marketplace. It is like a large flea market, but the vendor stalls on on either side of the very narrow street. Anything and everything is being sold! It is overwhelming!! So, after maybe two city blocks of the flea market, we finally come to some steps and walkways. To say that it is crowded would be an understatement! Not unmanageable, though. We actually heard La Bufadora (I feel like I'm talking about a person, not this huge blowhole!) before we saw it! It is kinda loud! You can see the ocean water going into a crevice in the rocks, then it blows water through the crevice...it is awesome! It's really fun to hear the kids close to the railing scream as they get wet! Brother Sacker took pictures and also got some video footage of it, which I hope to post sometime during my lifetime!! We spent some time oohing and aahing and got sprayed a little, then decided we would leave and drive back out to the wine country for a late lunch. We were walking through the marketplace and vendors were calling to us to buy this or that. I wanted some postcards and stopped and picked two and Brother Sacker asked how much they were. One dollar apiece! We get postcards in the U.S. for four for a dollar! So, back to the card rack they went!! One man called to me to look at his purses for sale...that was hard to say no thank you to! I told him only if there were Coach purses. He said he had Coach purses! I said only REAL Coach purses! He said he had real Coach purses! I said that I only buy real Coach purses at the real Coach store!! The next vendor called to me to buy a purse...I said no, thank you, I don't need one. He asked me to buy some sandals...I said no thank you, I don't need any. He asked me to buy a shawl...I said no thank you, I don't need one. Finally, he said..."well, why don't you buy something from me that you DON'T need!". I guess he had a point!! Anyway, we got back to our car and left for the drive to lunch. We did stop at a small roadside business and buy some mango candy and a couple of beef tamales...the woman was cooking the tamales right there in front of us! Now, THAT is the kind of fast food I could eat quite often! Check back for pics, please. I love Mexico!

La Bufadora

2 comments:

  1. I am very proud of you for not buying any more shoes or purses!!! Love ya, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was only because my husband was holding my hand VERY tightly and would NOT even let me look!

    ReplyDelete