Monday, March 14, 2011

A Greater Love Hath No Dog Owner...

Remember in my post about our weekend, I mentioned that Sundance was limping quite badly and he was going to the Vet today?  Well...$461.00 later...Sundance is home.  I dropped him off this morning before 8:00 AM and we picked him up at 8:00 PM!  He had blood work done.  He had doggy X-rays done.  He had a complete physical exam done.  He had a steroid injection and an injection for pain.  Needless to say...our golden boy was thrilled when we finally got to see him.  We went over ALL the test results with our Vet.  Sundance has arthiritis.  He is not limping because of that...he probably just landed on a small rock and hurt a ligament.  He is not limping as badly as he was Fri., Sat. or Sun.!!  He is, however, so lethargic and unresponsive that Brother Sacker and I were becoming quite concerned.  Anyone who has ever met Sundance knows his exuberance knows no bounds!  Tonight...well, you can tell from the pictures below just how un-exuberant he is.  I Googled side effects for the two injections he got and found a website called JustAnswer.  It is very cool!  You type in your question to a Board Certified Vet and $18.00 later...you get your live online answer!  The online Vet explained that one injection is actually a pain medication in the morphine family and can have powerful sedative effects. The good news is that it doesn't generally last for very long and to try offering warm chicken broth to tempt him to drink.  So...at midnight tonight, I started warming up chicken broth for Sundance.  Thank goodness we always have beef and chicken broth in our pantry.  Although, I would have driven to WalMart to pick up chicken broth for him if we didn't have any!!  Tomorrow morning...actually this morning (since it is now 12:30) I will call our Vet and let her know how Sundance reacted and how is he now.  Right now, he is conked out on his bed next to my side of our bed!   Yes, I love my boys!  And, to my friends that I play Words With Friends with...this is why I haven't played all night!!
This is what Sundance usually looks like!!

This is Sundance tonight...pathetic, isn't he?!

He really is not looking great here.

Yes, I had to put the warmed up chicken broth in his own bowl to get him to drink it!

So...now we all know that chicken broth is good for humans AND dogs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment