Sunday, July 28, 2013

Saying Good-bye to my Golden Boy...

I have started this post four times, but have not been able to finish because this is one of the hardest posts I've ever written.  The lymphoma is what was causing Sundance to go deaf.  It also caused him to go blind.  I spent most of last Saturday evening laying with Sundance on his bed...loving on him and praying for my golden boy.  On Sunday morning, he was totally blind and disoriented.  After speaking to his vet, Dr. Dana Schell, we decided to end his suffering that morning.  (There were no treatment options available for him.).  He passed away with me holding him and Brother Sacker petting him.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done...letting my beloved golden boy go.  He was my guardian angel dog...wherever I was, he was there too!  He was a gift from God...loyal,  loving, trusting, a great listener (captive audience, actually!) and just an all around wonderful addition to our family.  A day does not go by that I don't miss him and grieve for him.  I thank all my friends for their prayers for Sundance and their prayers for me.  Brother Sacker and I have decided that we will get another Golden Retriever next year...since we know that there just isn't any other kind of dog to own us!
So...here are some pictures of my beloved golden boy, Sundance...
Sundance was seven weeks old when he joined the Sacker
household.  The vet remarked to us "you do know that he
will grow into those paws!!"  And, he sure did!
I had just given him his first bath and was snuggling with him.
Brother Sacker blames me doing this for Sundance thinking
he was still a "lap dog" at 105 pounds!
He LOVED that blue ball!!
I think he was "talking" to me here...probably wanted to go
for a ride!!
He started hiking with us when he was three months old and
loved it!  Here we were hiking in the Wichitas.
 
Hiking and swimming...it just didn't get any better than this!!

On a hike on Turkey Mountain, taking a break in one of the
creeks.
Hiking on Turkey Mountain
 
Whitney W. took this picture while she was
house/dog sitting for us.  Always smiling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment